Tuesday, March 30, 2010

S'mores!

Lately I've become obsessed with finding a way to make a cupcake that tastes like a s'more. It all started because I saw two recipes for s'more cupcakes and neither one sounded all that original or delicious.

So, I've become determined to make my own.

The first attempt was using a crumb cupcake recipe I got from the book Cupcakes! by Elinor Klivans. I used graham cracker crumbs instead of most of the flour and used a plain old yellow cake recipe in between the crumb layers along with sticking a few oven toasted marshmallows and some chocolate ganache inside.

I really thought this idea would work, but the end result was very sad-looking. And, though the were very delicious, I'm afraid to say that they tasted nothing whatsoever like a s'more.

I think it's funny that in all of this my favorite part was discovering that it is possible to toast marshmallows in the oven! That is just amazing! I thought they wouldn't taste as good as when you're outside by the bonfire toasting them the "old fashioned way," but I will let you in on a secret: They taste exactly the same, either way! I know, it's completely shocking.

I just turned the broiler on, sprayed oil a cookie sheet, put a piece of parchment paper down then oiled that as well, spread out the marshmallows and stuck them in the oven for a few minutes, but be sure to keep an eye on them!


After all the trials, I ended up with a graham cracker cupcake, a filling of semi-sweet chocolate and toasted marshmallows, and a marshmallow/meringue topping.

I think that there is still some changes needed to make these spectacular, but they are definitely on the right track! And pretty darn cute.

No comments:

Post a Comment